Few people ask from books what books can give us. Most commonly we come to books with blurred and divided minds, asking of fiction that it shall be true, of poetry that it shall be false, of biography that it shall be flattering, of history that it shall enforce our own prejudices. If we could banish all such preconceptions when we read, that would be an admirable beginning.
— Virginia Woolf, The Second Common Reader
Mamihlapinatapai (sometimes spelled mamihlapinatapei) is a word from the Yaghan language of Tierra del Fuego, listed in The Guinness Book of World Records as the “most succinct word”, and is considered one of the hardest words to translate. It refers to “a look shared by two people, each wishing that the other will offer something that they both desire but are unwilling to do.”It is described in Rock, Paper, Scissors: Game Theory in Everyday Life, by Len Fisher (p76), when describing the Volunteer’s dilemma.
Everybody lies, no exceptions.
Best ensemble in an animated movie.
First look at Martin Freeman as Bilbo and Ian McKellen as Gandalf in Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit.
Today On TDW: Geek —
- Above: First look at Martin Freeman as Bilbo and Ian McKellen as Gandalf in Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit.
- LulzSec and Anonymous hack Arizona police, release hundreds of personal addresses and phone numbers.
- EA looking to buy Pop Cap?
- Andy Baio settles copyright infringement suit from Kind of Blue cover photographer Jay Maisel to the tune of $32k.
- Slightly longer snippet of Wonder Woman pilot leaks to the web.
- Is this the Judge Dredd teaser poster?
- Japanese idol group member turns out to be CG composite of other members.
- Joe Dragt’s marvelous motherboard art.